Fennel, orange, nut and black olive salad. A simple but full of contrasts Sicilian classic, healthy, colourful, rich in vitamins and mineral salts and that will surprise you, to get out of the routine of classic lettuce salads.
Around here we don’t eat as much fennel as in Italy. Over there it is common to find it in multiple preparations, whether raw, baked, grilled or in vegetable creams. Its powerful aniseed flavour cleanses the palate and perfectly complements both pork and lamb dishes and all kinds of fish, especially blue fish.
There are 2 types of fennel. One is rounder, like the one in the photo; the other is longer. For raw preparations it is better to use the rounder one; for gratin or boiling, the elongated one.
Let’s see how to prepare this delicious salad for a really perfect result.
Orange and fennel salad (insalata di arance e finocchi alla siciliana)
- 1 Orange
- ½ Fennel
- 6 Black olives
- 4 Nuts
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Remove the outer layers of the fennel and cut it finely with the mandolin
- Peel the orange completely, with a sharp knife, so that no white residue is left on the skin
- Cut the segments, leaving the skin in the middle, to obtain only the pulp
- Prepare the dressing with a splash of olive oil, salt, pepper, vinegar and a little orange juice, which we can obtain by squeezing the leftovers
- Arrange the ingredients on a plate and season